Search This Blog

Weekend Project - The Return of the Legendary Aloe Vera

Sunday, May 10, 2009 |

Happy Mother's Day! It's Mother's Day, and I am doing some 'aunty' stuff again.

The come-back of the Aloe-vera, hoho.. I got another bag of Aloe-vera from my aunty again. Since there is so much of aloe vera, I decided to make an aloe vera syrup, so that I can store in the fridge, and consume it when necessary.

The ingredients are the Aloe-vera, brown sugar-cane sugar, dried longan. Optional stuffs are red dates and pandan leave. I used 3 pieces of Aloe-vera here. Cube the Aloe-vera, the Aloe-vera is a pretty nasty thing, it is sticky and slippery. For those who havent seen an un-naked Aloe-vera, please click here, my previous post about Aloe-vera. You can use any kind of sugar actually, this brown sugar-cane sugar, I bought it from a grocery store for RM1.60 a packet. I used 2 pieces of sugar here. Dried longan can be bought from chinese herbal shop. I bought these dried longan at RM3.30 for 100 grams.



So, to make it happen, add the Aloe-vera and sugar into a pot. Cook it under low heat for an hour. Do not worry about the Aloe-vera might stick on to the pot or not. It wont stick. Because as you boil, the Aloe-vera will discharge its 'water'.


When the syrup is almost ready, add in a handful of dried longan. The syrup turned into brown color and the content has shrunk to half.


Wait until the syrup cool down, pour it into a container and keep in the refrigerator. According to my aunty, the syrup can last for one week.

To serve, pour some of the syrup into a glass, then add ice-cubes and some water (depends on how sweet you want it to be). I havent tried this syrup yet, I hope it tastes good.

2 comments:

Calvin said...

hhmm...it looks sticky after cooking.Wat does this syrup do?

alexis said...

I think aloe vera is well-known of its cleansing and detox ability.