Search This Blog

Durian Indulgence @ Balik Pulau

Saturday, June 13, 2009 |


It's durian season! My colleagues have been craving for durians for awhile, but didnt really get to eat any. Finally our durian trip worked.

We went to a durian farm at Balik Pulau, Penang after work. 10 of us went. Travelling from Bayan Lepas to Balik Pulau needs around 45 minutes. On the way to Balik Pulau, we saw breath-taking scenery, mountains, trees and paddy field, it was so tranquil.

We arrived at an antique wooden house in Balik Pulau.

We saw people cleaning the durians at the backyard.

Owner of durian farm opening the durian. Look, he uses his legs to hold the durian. Ouch.

Durian. Not sure about its name. But, I think is Ang Bak (red meat)

The durian that looks like a shit. I think is Yah Kang (Centipede)

This durian is called Coupling i think?

My colleague's phone wanna eat durian as well, haha...

King of the durian - D14, a bitter durian. I personally like durian that tastes bitter.

Mangosteen, to compliment the durians.

Very soft and yummy Cempedak (Jack fruit)

We were provided two jugs of cooling Lau How Juice (Nutmeg Juice). Very good in getting rid of heatiness of the durians.

After finishing our fruits. We went for a walk at the farm behind the house. They rare chicken there.

A turkey.

Nona (custard apple)

Many people dont know what plant this is. Guess what, it is a dragon fruit plant.

Can you spot the durians?

Nutmeg

Nutmeg slice that can be eaten straight. But the taste is awful. =)

Asam (tamarind)

My colleague, Jonathan is working on the dodol ( durian toffee).

Nice durian field trip. Ten of us ate 20 durians and it costed us RM18 per person. Not bad, aye? I would say it is very cheap. But too bad we didnt get to eat the famous Ang Heh (Red Prawn) durian. Anyway, all the durians tasted soOoo good, haha..

8 comments:

Calvin said...

I want to eat durians too....never ta pau for me....

NH said...

Wah... durian... I want to eat....

The uncle looks so skillful 'holding' during with with legs..

Looks like family gathering to eat durian haha

alexis said...

Calvin, you want to eat, ask Eric bring you there la..haha..me too "heaty" d, cant eat anymore.

NH, haha..ya, he got thick skin on his legs..

Calvin said...

Then drink more nutmeg juice...release the body heat...if durians cannot, then how about our makan trip? long time never go makan together de...

alexis said...

makan trip? i have been spending too much money. my company has been extremely unstable.very high possibility for me to get retrenched. you and eric go la.

hevn said...

Lol, I went to the above place just a couple of weeks ago too. We were eating inside the house but the chicken poo smell really got to me after a while. Halfway eating and gagging at the same time but the durians were fantastic! :D

alexis said...

Hi hevn, nice meeting you..you have nice blog..Wow, you went there as well?? Seem like a lot people been to this place before. I bet they must be earning a lot!

Gill Giam said...

Hi, can you provide the durian farm contact number?